Christ Church – an evangelical, Anglican community located in the greater Kansas City area – is seeking a Director of Worship Arts to oversee the entire worship ministry for a large, diverse, and dynamic congregation. Christ Church’s vision is to advance the good news of God’s kingdom by planting missional initiatives, ministering to the poor, and bringing the healing love of Jesus to all people. Known as an “Alpha church” because of our 20-year commitment to running the Alpha course, we value reaching unchurched people through graceful hospitality, ministering in the power of the Holy Spirit, innovation, and mobilizing people to serve and lead.
OUR WORSHIP MINISTRY
We are part of the multi-ethnic, multi-national, and multi-cultural Anglican Communion. We cherish this heritage, believing it offers skeptical, post-modern people a reliable way to be Christian. Yet we’re not held captive to the past. If anything, we find that tradition enriches innovation. So we pair new ideas with established practices to create trustworthy and unique expressions of worship. With a weekly attendance of roughly 700, diverse in age and style, the goal for our music expression is to honor the familiar hymnody while introducing appropriate contemporary sounds and lyrics. In other words, we seek an eclectic mix, seamlessly integrating the ancient and modern in relevant ways.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR A PERSON WHO
- is a committed Christian with spiritual depth and a deepening faith in Jesus Christ.
- loves leading worship with volunteers and has proven experience working with them.
- invites volunteers to work alongside them in the ministry and raises those people up to grow and take on more responsibility.
- exhibits strong oral and written communication skills.
- demonstrates ability to create and execute plans—and who can exhibit flexibility and gracefully adapt plans when necessary.
- is interested in further ministry growth.
- acts as a team player who sees worship as interconnected to the other ministries within the church and as part of the church-wide mission.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide vision and promote communication
- Prayerfully discern where God is leading
- Envision new ideas and ways to lead the people of Christ Church in worship
- Articulate the Christ Church vision to the church in a way that inspires leaders, volunteers, and new parishioners
- Help the pastoral staff incorporate new Christians, many who have come to faith through the Alpha Course, into our worship life
- Plan and lead worship programs
- Plan music selections for contemporary services, schedule and lead practices (typically Sunday mornings), and provide charts to prepare for Sunday and other services
- Lead well-prepared congregational worship, blending contemporary music and hymnody, during Sunday worship and special service events throughout the year (e.g. Christmas and Holy Week)
- Support special events and additional programs (e.g. Alpha) as required
- Build teams of musicians (bands), worship leaders, and supporting staff/volunteers
- Supervise several full-time and multiple part-time music staff, and provide oversight of music ministries and contemporary worship teams
- Foster a complementary working relationship with liturgical volunteers
- Encourage the worship and volunteer team through prayer, fellowship, and the introduction of new songs
- Evaluate effectiveness of the ministry and programs; elicit, encourage, and employ objective feedback to pursue improvements
- Coordinate other staff duties
- Steward budget and resources
- Report to Senior Pastor
- Maintain calendar of events
Worship Style: Contemporary/Modern
Education Required: Undergraduate degree in Music and/or Theological Studies
Experience Required: 3-5 years
Salary: Highly competitive salary
Pay to Relocate?: Negotiable
Job Status: Now hiring
Latest posts by Jason Whitehorn (see all)
- “How Do I Deal With a Musician/Vocalist That Just Can’t Play/Sing?” - August 14, 2017
- To Augment Hymns or Not… - July 18, 2017
- U2 Just Took Us All To Church - May 24, 2017