The “Losing Millennials/Members/Attendance” Complex In Church
Every fourth article that I read on the internet these days seems to be click-bait. “You won’t BELIEVE what happened next!”. Every third article seems to be a “Top ___” list of “Why Churches Are Loosing _______” (members/millennials/tithers….) It seems every one has an opinion. I am not going to give one on why your church or mine – or anyone’s…is losing any person. I care more about reaching people more than I will ever care about processes.
What I know to be of great importance to any demographic of people – is to be Christ-centered. It is the same focus that Paul had in the book of 1 Corinthians.
“I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some.”
Paul identified himself as being “free” and “belong(ing) to no one” – yet made himself as “a slave to everyone” by identifying with customs and practices of different peoples in order that he might win them to Christ.
I think we tend to worry about what our services look like for “seekers” out of fear of alienating the “church-goers” or worry about being too “liturgical” out of fear of never drawing the “seeker” to the door. If we have the focus of Paul – we are focused…not pleasing all people…but relating to all people.
The most relational thing that a church can do…is be relational as Christ was relational.
34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” – John 13:34-35
Ask yourself these three questions as your church looks at any type of service or church restructuring before it heeds advice to stop “losing millennials, adults, teens, etc”:
- Is our focus CLEARLY on God first?
- Are we putting PEOPLE over PROCESSES and, if so, how is that evident?
- How do the changes we are seeking fit in with the greatest commandment Jesus gave us to “Love One Another?” If they don’t truly…is it really needed?
Latest posts by Jason Whitehorn (see all)
- The Day The Kick Drum Died - December 11, 2017
- “As Long As I Have Breath” Acoustic Tutorial / Chart - December 9, 2017
- Have You Written A Song You Want To Share With Other Churches? - December 8, 2017